personality changes over a life time
Running head : PERSONALITY CHANGES OVER A LIFETIME Personality Changes over a Lifetime Abstract This is about the personality changes that an individual undergoes as he ages , especially in relation to the numerous problems that the elderly face , and the specialized training that a psychologist and personality theorist needs in to help the elderly through their problems and difficulties , at a time when they feel alone and depressed and unable to cope with what life offers Personality Changes over a Lifetime Although it may be true that ancient wisdom had dictated
Personality Changes over a Lifetime
This is about the personality changes that an individual undergoes as he ages , especially in relation to the numerous problems that the elderly face , and the specialized training that a psychologist and personality theorist needs in to help the elderly through their problems and difficulties , at a time when they feel alone and depressed and unable to cope with what life offers
Personality Changes over a Lifetime
Although it may be true that ancient wisdom had dictated
that an individual 's personality would be `set in stone ' when he reached the age of thirty , this may no longer be true , states modern research . In fact states a US based research on the issue of personality changes over a person 's lifetime people may indeed grow wiser as they mature Conscientiousness , agreeableness , neuroticism , openness and extraversion were the five `key ' personality traits that were taken into account , on the 130 ,000 people aged from twenty one to sixty years , in this research , and it was concluded that these traits did not depend upon mood at any stage , because of the fact that they may be genetic , and may only change very gradually , if at all , as the person grew older . Some of the interesting revelations were that while women displayed more signs of neuroticism as they aged , men did not , and also that openness tended to decline as the individual aged . An increased ability to deal with challenges was seen in the twenties , while the ability to show warmth and compassion increased during the thirties (Bhattacharya , Shaoni (2003
Today , the research and the study of culture and personality have been found to help those individuals who have to cope with personality changes , especially when they have grown older . Counselors too make use of research to address better the clinical needs of elderly patients under their care , although it is true that they would need specialized training and skills to deal with the elderly . It would help to remember the difference between a twenty year old and an eighty year old : while a twenty year old may recognize the fact that several uninterrupted years of life , both personal as well as professional , lie ahead for him , an eighty year old may recognize the fact that this may be the last decade of his life , and this would mean that his life goals would be completely different than that of the twenty year old , and it shows that time can play a critical role in influencing one 's life goals . The older individual would in all probability select one or two goals that would have an immediate positive impact on his life , and this would in turn mean , according to socio economic selectivity theory , that for the elderly , only those goals that would offer them immediate positive benefit would be important , rather than , for example , starting a new social network , and as Cartensen stated , the older person be...
More Reports on life, culture, gender, personal, changes
- culture and personality and how they intertwine
- how your “personal environment” can affect your health?
- Gender and Culture
- What is the difference between race and ethnicity? What does it mean to say that race and ethnicity are socially constructed? What is a minority? Support the claim that African Americans and Asian Americans are both minorities in the United States using
- How Surroundings Can Affect Your Life
- Describe a setback that you have faced. How did you resolve it? How did the outcome affect you? If something similar happened in the future, how would you react?
- Gender and International Migration: Does Gender Matter? Discuss in the context of changing patterns of global migration and our need to more fully understand the impact of migration of men and women on countries of origin and destination.
- Gender Inequalities in the Workplace for Women in Law Enforcement
- How Religion Affected the Settlement of the New World.
- women gender studies
Customers Who Downloaded This Essay Also Viewed
Related searches on Oliver, continuities, Cervone
- personal studies
- sample courseworks on context
- courseworks on Personality Changes
- ethnicity analysis
- merits of personality
- disadvantages of Scientist Retrieved
- advantages and disadvantages of changes
- over summary
- cause and effect of ethnicity
- continuities fallacies
- affect test
- advantages of over
- Hypothesize introduction