- Latin America The Brazilian film , Cidade de Deus (City of God , was one of the most popular movies of 2002 and is one of the most well respected Latin films of all time . This film is one that focuses on the area near the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro and more specifically , upon the less privileged portion of that city . The film 's themes have been celebrated over and over because of their social significance , given the fact that it is a story told from the perspective of a young , desperate boy
p The film 's lead character is a boy named Rocket , who grows up in some difficult circumstances . He struggles during the early portion of his life dealing with the issues of poverty and having to live a life of pure survival . The interesting thing about the film is that it is actual based upon a true story , so when the boy struggles in an area overrun by drug use and violence , things are a little bit more real than they might have otherwise been . In the beginning of the film , the audience is introduced not only to the boy , but also to his given situation and his outlook on his living circumstances . Rocket does not necessarily want to live in the slums , but has resigned himself to the fact that getting out of his situation with be a big hurdle
The prevailing theme that permeates the entire movie is gang culture From the beginning , the audience gets a picture of how Rocket is caught up in the gang culture of Rio de Janeiro . Unfortunately , it takes him more than ten years to even begin to break free from the gang culture that his brother and other family members have become involved in . Lil Ze ' is the head of the city because he has risen through the gang ranks and knocked out all of his opponents . The movie takes the audience through different stages , as we see Lil Ze 's rise to power and then we get a chance to watch him stay on top of the hill . Over the course of the movie , we see that Rocket is going to play a role , but he will not be an active participant in the gang culture
The movie takes a dangerous twist when the gangs start fighting in the street . Because of girls , drugs , and the struggle for control , Lil Ze 's gang faces off in the street with their political opponents . Though the gunfight is broken up by the police , the audience is introduced by another terrifying theme associated with that type of culture . As is often the case in towns like the one in City of God , the police is often just as dirty as the gangs that they seek to put in jail . After the police had successfully broken up the fight , they take an opportunity to eliminate Lil Ze from the world . Rocket , however , has his camera and gets pictures of the gang leader...
More Courseworks on city, gang, latin, rocket, America
- Social Violence in Latin America
- Poverty in Latin America - specifically in Bolivia and Venezuela - its causes and what can be done to curb it
- The differences in free trade between the US and Latin America.
- GEOG DQ Latin America
- Explaining Latin American Underdevelopment
- Summarize and characterize developments in two diverse regions of the world since 1945. Choose from Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Middle East,Eastern Europe or Latin America.
- Revolutions in Latin America
- Capitalism in Latin America
- Expansion into Asia and Latin America
- Women`s role in Colonial Latin America politics