Why was tax-supported public education deemed important in America?
Free public education became a vital element of American prosperity However , it was not a very popular and well-received idea when first proposed , despite the early unpopularity of tax-supported primary education , it eventually became the cornerstone of the American ideal In the early part of American History , tax-supported primary schools were not a popular notion (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) People associated them with poverty , as they were associated in Europe . In European culture , only the unwashed masses ' sent their children to tax-funded schools , and such places were under funded , poorly staffed
In the early part of American History , tax-supported primary schools were not a popular notion (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) People associated them with poverty , as they were associated in Europe . In European culture , only the unwashed masses ' sent their children to tax-funded schools , and such places were under funded , poorly staffed
and supplied , and substandard in almost every way (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) Despite these deficiencies , the schools proved to be ruinously expensive as well . Eventually , the conservative class of the United States began to realize that an uneducated mass of rabble might be more dangerous than the savings were worth , and the public education mania swept the nation after about 1820 (Berger and Darelick 1977
Americans came around to the opinion that they were better off with an educated working class than not (except in the slave-holding south (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) As the population shifted to more urban areas , the call for education increased . When universal manhood suffrage was attained , it seemed more important that those participating in the vote have some knowledge of the world , and be able to read newss to form informed opinions in politics (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 The words of Thomas Jefferson were repeated , that no Nation could be both ignorant and free...
More Studies on tax, education, public, summary,
- Compare and contrast the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution, especially in regard to the specific powers granted by each to the national government.
- political science
- Environmental Policy and Sustainability - Week 5
- Statment of purpose
- AMH 2020 ESSAY EXAM # 1
- Business LAw
- Public Finance
- Executive Summary for Coca Cola
Customers Who Downloaded This Essay Also Viewed
- Development of the Bill of Rights, and the first 15 Amendments to the constitution.
- develop an argument using sources to back up the following:True or false: War causes changes in society.`
- Why the United States is so competitive as a society
- Why not to chew gum in formation
- Why was the period 1950-1973 called the `Golden Era` of Economic growth?