`Why are passwords and other good information security technologies compromised by the people who use them? What can we do to improve their contribution to information security?
Passwords are required everywhere . Whether it is a password for an ATM or an email account or online financial transactions , it provides a security blanket for authorized people to access these systems . A combination of letters and numbers to login into a system is all that is takes to create a password . Birthday dates , anniversary dates , social security numbers etc . are some of the common considerations one makes while deciding on a password . Some people prefer using automated tools to generate passwords . The question is how safe and reliable are these passwords
in preventing unauthorized access . Security of a system is often compromised when people tend to leave their password either written on post-its on their monitors , store it in a cell phone or jot it down in notepad . This tendency to write down or store password to prevent forgetting , often exposes the system to unauthorized access and thus leads to unwanted intrusion
There are various reasons and factors responsible for compromise of security due to passwords . Some of the common errors people commit while deciding on a password is that they choose an easier way out . They create passwords which are easy to remember but also very easy to guess such as passwords based on personal information . Since these passwords are at a greater risk of being discovered another approach is to decide on a very difficult cryptic password . The disadvantages of these hard passwords is that they are tough on human memory .In a survey it was reported...
More Essays on information, people, time, good, employees
- Encryption and Authentication Attacks
- Geographic Info Systems - 5
- IT Security - Logical
- Telecommunications, the Internet, and Wireless Technology
- BA545 - Emerging Technologies - Final
- INTERNET SECURITY ENFORCED
- Securing Internet Information Services
- Information Technology
- How have modern accounting systems made a difference in modern organizations?
- LAN/WAN SECURITY OF DATABASE ON A CLOUD COMPUTING ENVIRONMENT
Customers Who Downloaded This Essay Also Viewed
- Managing Systems and User Accounts
- social networking
- Reusable passwords offer poor security. What do you think is holding back their replacement with biometric options?
- Is using an encryption system like PGP a good idea for individuals? why? what about for organizations? again, why??
- Should you hire an experienced hacker to protect your IT systems? Or is there such a thing as too much experience on the `dark side` of the law?