Mid-late 1800’s Gender Roles
Mid-late 1800 's Gender Roles The cases of Joyner v . Joyner , State v . Black , and State v . Rhodesas explained by Karl Llewellyn helps show how the law depicted gender roles in the south during the mid-late 1800 's . All of these cases set precedence of a husband 's authority over his wife within the home . The claims that a wife 's actions are the responsibility of her husband giving him the right to correct ' her actions if he feels necessary The decisions in these cases help to reveal the social gender roles of
br the time
In the case of Joyner v . Joyner where a wife unsuccessfully attempts to divorce her husband , the courts find that domestic violence of the nature found in this case is not reasonable grounds for divorce Furthermore , it was the perception given from the case is that the husband merely living up to his marital responsibilities by correcting ' his wife 's disrespectful behavior towards him so long as it was not done in a mellitus manner . At the time men were responsible for the actions of their wives , much like parents are responsible for the actions of their children today . In the mid-late 1800 's women were seen as below their husbands in the hierarchy of the household therefore giving the husband both great power and responsibility over everyone in the home . The husband in the case of Joyner v . Joyner not only has the right but the duty to strike his wife with a horse-whip...
More Courseworks on
- Discuss and compare the conceptions of power and domination found in the works of the following social theorists: Karl Marx, Max Weber and Michel Foucault. Illustrate your answer to this question with some appropriate examples of the operation of power.
- 5 books about artistic learning strategies and State Standards Please use Arkansas or Missouri if possible
- Shoemaker and the Tea Party
- Finance Case Study
- How important is the role of `play` in development of young children?
- Explain the fallacy of the following statement: “A profit maximizing airline should examine its marginal cost and marginal revenue and charge all of its passengers the monopoly price.” What in fact should the airline do to maximize profits? From society
- Term Paper 2
- statement of purpose for graduate school admission
- Marketing Plan