How does Jared Diamond`s study of the Viking settlers in Greenland and their disappearance help us to understand his argument about how and why some societies collapse? AND how do the primary sources help us to understand the settlers, and the reasons why
JARED DIAMOND`S STUDY OF THE VIKING SETTLERS IN GREENLAND AND THEIR DISAPPEARANCE Introduction It has been a mystery , why ancient civilizations leave their magnificent cities after building it so much efforts . Anthropologists have always been stunned , why ancient cities and empires collapse . Cities like Anasazi and Cahokia , Moche and Tiwanaku , Mycenean , Crete , Great Zimbabwe , Angkor Wat , Harappa and the Indus Valley cities , all were lost in the dust of time . One such example is is Greenland , Norse society , collapsed and decreased socially , politically and economically in size and power despite
It has been a mystery , why ancient civilizations leave their magnificent cities after building it so much efforts . Anthropologists have always been stunned , why ancient cities and empires collapse . Cities like Anasazi and Cahokia , Moche and Tiwanaku , Mycenean , Crete , Great Zimbabwe , Angkor Wat , Harappa and the Indus Valley cities , all were lost in the dust of time . One such example is is Greenland , Norse society , collapsed and decreased socially , politically and economically in size and power despite
the surviving for 450 years . It has always been mystery for historians , why some cities disappeared from the face of earth leaving grand castles and palaces behind , while cities like Jerusalem survived in the middle of desert , despite the turmoil of 7000 years
Past carries a strange mystery , we feel enthralled towards it . One big reason is that , we can associate any myth with the past . It is often speculated that these abandon cities came to such bleak end due to the destruction of environmental resources . These people were dependent on these resources , yet unknowingly they kept on destroying these resources and ended up in a collective suicide Ancient Societies Downfall Factors
The author has described four major factors for the downfall of a society , which are environmental destruction , climatic change , hostile neighbours and the society 's reaction to the environment . However its not solely environment , which can cause the downfall of a nation . One such example is the economic collapse of Soviet Union and the military collapse of Carthage in 146 BC
In the case of destruction of environmental resources , a society can survive if it is destroying its environment slowly , unless the climate becomes unbearable . There can be multiple reasons such as : a society becomes weak not only militarily , but environmentally as well . The immediate cause could be a military conquest , but the decisive factors will more than one , which weakens the society and ends up as a military defeat
The prehistoric Polynesian expanded and explored till 1200 BC . These people lacked modern knowledge and metal tools and they were masters of the sea and canoe . They wasted their energies on building big statues which were a matter of prestige and respect for their chief , downfall was but natural
The Pitcairn were too many people in too small space , yet extremely unorganized . As the population grew , the started to fight and , leading to famine , political chaos and environmental damage and ended them as nation
Why Viking Failed
The Greenland Norse passed within 450 years while the Vinland colony met disaster within a decade . There have been four basic reasons for this downfall : ocean distances resistance of non-Viking men agriculture dependence and environmental fragility .The Orkneys Island is located on the northern tip of Britain . The Vikings conquered the indigenous people and used the islands as a base for raiding the British and Irish islands and became a rich and powerful society
The Vinland colony failed , because the Greenland...
More Essays on help, why, settlers, Jared Diamond, Norse Greenland
- What approach should a contractor adopt in building relationships with clients?
- Why is there a Homeless problem in Miami Dade County and why are the homeless relying on the Trust
- Why would it be to your advantage to earn both a bachelor's and master's degree from Florida Tech in five years through the university's FastTrack program?
- Investigating Meaningful Teaching
- Can Goal of humanity help or hurt?
- Rhetorical Analysis of Martin Luther King Jr. s `Letter from a Birmingham Jail`
- Play/Greek Drama
- Why is Sex Fun
- Analyse the role of god or goddess in one or more plays. What does the deity provide humanity and why do people worship him or her? How might the existence of the deity help people make sense of the world and their own lives? What sort of people does the
- Explain / Outline the term `associate` and `significant influence`, Why should associates be distinguished from other investments help by the investor?
Related searches on Jared Diamond, Norse, Greenland Norse
- settlers courseworks
- sample courseworks on Greenland Norse
- reports on settlers
- settlers analysis
- merits of why
- disadvantages of Jared Diamond
- advantages and disadvantages of Norse Greenland
- Norse Greenland summary
- cause and effect of Jared Diamond
- Norse fallacies
- why test
- advantages of why
- Greenland Norse introduction