English - Narration & textual analysis
Maya Angelou 's Champion of the World and Amy Tan 's Fish Cheeks both deal with racial differences within America . Angelou 's piece presented what it was like for African-Americans during a significant event in the middle of the apartheid - the bout between Joe Louis , the World Champion , and his white contender . Through the use of two narrators Angelou was able to shift the focus , which caused the reader to be more involved in the story . Making use of the radio commentator as the narrator , she gave the reader a sense of what
the audience felt as the fight unfolded , blow by blow . By shifting to her own voice as the narrator , she put these reactions into perspective , and tied them together with the realities that her people experienced . Through this she was able to effectively construct a parallel comparison using the boxing match as a metaphor representing her people 's struggles and frustrations in the apartheid . Here , Louis was the symbol of hope for demoralized blacks across America . These people were not treated equally . In fact , they were considered to be only a little higher than apes (Angelou ,
. 95 . Louis ' victory in the match would prove their oppressors wrong . This one man , whether he liked it or not , was fighting for all of them
Angelou 's portrayal of her people while listening to the match also reflected the conditions they were forced to live under . With dialogue such as , That white man don 't mind hugging that niggah...
More Courseworks on out, people, story, stories, family
- Literary Analysis on The Poisonwood Bible
- Research and Argumentative
- cultural studies
- texts exercises
- Civil Rights, Black Power, and Urban Riots
- Black and Latino Cultural Studies
- Character Analysis of Short Story Amy Tan’s “Two Kinds,”
- writing essay in own words
- In what respects have race relations improved in the United States since the 1960s? In what respects have they worsened? How would one make a balanced assessment of the changes in race relations over the last several decades?
- Analysis of case studies