Describe the impact of Europeans on Native American (Indian) cultures and the impact of native cultures on Europeans. Then explain why it was or was not a good thing that European culture prevailed
While there were both positive and negative results from the cultural interactions between Native Americans and Europeans , their interaction was historically inevitable , and whether it was a good thing ' is irrelevant The interaction of the European Old World with the culture and ecology of the New world brought numerous changes for the occupants of the New World . In terms of material goods , livestock in the form of horses , cows and pigs were brought to the New World by Europeans (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) These animals became an integral part of the culture
The interaction of the European Old World with the culture and ecology of the New world brought numerous changes for the occupants of the New World . In terms of material goods , livestock in the form of horses , cows and pigs were brought to the New World by Europeans (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) These animals became an integral part of the culture
of many Native American tribes , especially in the plains and the west Comanche and Apache Indians began to rely on horses to sustain a lifestyle of hunting and raiding , while Eastern Indians began domesticating livestock to supplement their farm proceeds (Kennedy Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) On the negative side , European also brought numerous diseases to the New World that wiped out a large portion of their population (Devevan , 1996 ) Smallpox , measles , influenza , typhus diphtheria and other diseases wreaked havoc among the natives because they did not have any immunity from previous exposure to these diseases (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004
European culture , economy and ecology also absorbed some elements of Native American life . An abundance of precious metals were found in the New World ' and brought back to Europe . New crops , such as corn potatoes , tobacco , beans , and chocolate , all of New World origins became staples of European diets (Kennedy , Cohen Bailey , 2004 ) The Europeans also learned farming techniques and...
More Studies on world, native, cultures, Europeans, Native American
- 1. Describe the New World that Columbus discovered, including the Native American cultures that existed on the continent before European colonization began.
- Early American History
- Cultures of the New World
- A Map to the Next World by Joy Harjo
- In Green Grass, Running Water, Coyote continually disrupts the other characters attempts to `fix` their lives and to fix the world. On the other hand, do Coyotes tricks semm more positive than negative?
- American Holocaust; The Conquest of the New World
- The Importance of Understanding Native American History
- racism for native americans
- A Research on Native Americans
Customers Who Downloaded This Essay Also Viewed
- Colonists came to North America for a munber of reasons.
- Describe what life was like for the Native Americans before and after they encountered the Europeans and for the Africans before and after their enslavement by the Europeans. Discuss each group`s culture, beliefs, lifestyle, and religion both before and a
- Early American History
- American Colonies: The Settling of North America -- Alan Taylor
- 1. The factors that motivated the European (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch and English in particular) to explore and colonize North America and South America did not concern material gain and / or religious freedom.
Related searches on Native Americans, Native American, Europeans
- Native American Culture studies
- sample studies on cultures
- courseworks on Cohen Bailey
- Europeans analysis
- merits of Europeans
- disadvantages of native
- advantages and disadvantages of Europeans
- cultures summary
- cause and effect of native
- Native American fallacies
- Native Americans test
- advantages of native
- Native American introduction