3.Continued expansion of the country in all areas (fiscal, territorial, and political – i.e. new states joining the Union) was influenced by sectionalism.
South So , in to prevent the passage of national laws that would favor the North but not the South , the Southerners need as many senators as the North had . Thus , there would have to be an equally number of free states and slave states since each state regardless of size has two senators ( An Outline of American History , 1994 This balance was especially essential for the South as the clamor against the practice of slavery was growing steam . The people of the South believed that they had to have slaves in to
This balance was especially essential for the South as the clamor against the practice of slavery was growing steam . The people of the South believed that they had to have slaves in to
grow cotton and since cotton was such a valuable export for the United States , ergo slavery is good for all of the U .S . The Southerners wanted to have slavery in at least some of the new territories because new farmland was needed and since the plantation system was based on slavery , they sought this new land where slavery was permitted . However , slavery had become a trade in itself . In the old South where cotton had worn out the land raising slaves for sale was good business . The cruel aspect of this is the separation of families . While the union acceded to compromises in the acceptance of slave states , it was firm on its stand on the prohibition of slavery in the federal territories in the West . The remaining territories were then rendered inaccessible to slavery and will therefore be eventually accepted as free states in effect breaking the balance . Hence , the South no longer found expansionism their interest and strongly called for the annexation of Texas and even Cuba which were non-U .S . territories ( Columbia Encyclopedia , 2004 .References
Chapter Eight : Agrarian Distress and the Rise of Populism (1994 An outline of American history . Retrieved October 5 , 2007 , from http /us .history .wisc .edu /hist102 /lectures /lecture07 .html...
More Courseworks on political, country, union, south, north
- American History
- US History
- Analyze the consequences of american rule in Puerto rico, Cuba and the Philipines.
- Refelect on US History 1600 - 1877
- African American History
- THE UNITED STATES FROM 1877 UNTIL TODAY
- us history
- The Internet is the most influential invention in American history
- World War I Questions
Customers Who Downloaded This Essay Also Viewed
- 2.The issues of sectionalism, slavery, and continuing expansion did not have a significant impact on the country. Supporting essay should discuss up to about 1850.
- 4.The Civil War was fought to the exclusion of any other reason, solely to end the evil institution of slavery. The unresolved constitutional issue of “States Rights” was not the major underlying factor. In other words, the Civil War was fought only to
- 1.The contrasts among urban life, and rural life did not form the foundations of an industrial society, which contributed to economic growth in all areas, as the United States expanded to the new territories (westward expansion).
- 5.The reason that the North won the Civil War was that they had a “righteous” cause and the South was “immoral”. The acquisition, allocation and utilization of human, industrial, agricultural and financial resources had little or no relevance on the outc
- Was the Mexican-American War a war of American conquest or a response to Mexican provocation?